Tuesday, January 26, 2010

A vacation...


This month is my vacation. Some of you are confused because you know very well that I am at home all day everyday anyways. How could this be a vacation? Well, if you have ever seen the movie "What About Bob" with Bill Murray, you know that his character was a very sick man who obsessed about every little thing in his life. His life was full of worry and upset. His doctor decided to write him a prescription. "Take a vacation.... A vacation from your problems"
Lately I have felt like my life has become full of this obsession, worry, and upset. I feel obsessed with things in my life that I can not control, and I found myself really turning into a person I didnt like. So I thought really long and hard about this.... and realized. Life is going by whether I like it or not. Whether I obsess or not. Whether I get what I want, or not. The question here is: Do I really want to live my life like this? SO- I decided to take the wise doctor's advice (except in the movie he was nuts) I am on a vacation from my problems. I made a little list of things that the "ME" I like would like to do. What do I need?

Heres a list of things I came up with:

I need to teach. I feel like the passion I found everyday in teaching is gone. I found myself longing for my old classroom. The little things like sitting in my rocking chair and reading a book that made kids laugh. I miss hugs from 8 year olds! I miss hearing their long and drawn out stories about "guess what happened last night", that were really not interesting, but meant something more. They meant "Mrs. Wallace, I trust you enough to share my life stories with you... and I want you to know me" .... I want this back. Now, I am working on getting my licence pretty quickly.

This is me pretending to sign the Declaration of Independence- in my classroom







I need to contribute. I feel like I spend so much time thinking and worrying about myself and my problems, that I really need to step away and help other people. I have signed up to help volunteer at "jumpstart" an early literacy program that helps at risk young children love literacy. I will get to read to them! :) I also signed up to help out at the local SPCA. I love animals, and would love to help walk dogs, wash them, or just play with them. I also send a message to a senior home who was looking for someone to teaching knitting to the senoirs, so I would love to do this.

I need to create. I suppose this is why I love knitting so much. I AM knitting! I finished a Manos Silk Wool blanket that I adore, and now I am working on a sweater... not for a baby, but for ME! Stay tuned for picts. I also would like to make some soap. I ordered a book on amazon about how to do this. I pulled out my cello and played, and am trying to learn piano. WOAH, I know, I am really up to a lot these days.

I need to be thankful. It kind of makes me sick to think that I could possibly be unhappy about anything. I have an amazing life really. My husband Adam is more of a husband than I could have ever imagined. He is amazing and he loves me all the time, and treats me with respect and patience. Who could ask for more? I have amazing friends and family who love and support me everyday- thank you. I need to remember, even when I am down in the dumps because another month has come and gone, and I am left feeling out of control and helpless, I have so much.

I know that everyone has something in their life that they can not control. Whether it be a stressful job, a horrible co worker, a lack or job, financial stress, sickness, a loved one's illness, or just a bad day...I hope that each of you can look at your life and ask yourself, "what can I do to take a vacation from my problems today?" Find something that you love doing, and do it. Let me know what you did. I would love to know!

7 comments:

Laura Huntley said...

Mimi, you are such an inspiration! I love it! I will be taking a vacation right along with you! What a great opportunity! Let me know how all of that volunteering goes. I am so excited for you. Love and miss you!

Mary Thomas said...

You are truly an amazing woman, Mimi. This should be published in a magazine because so many people feel just this way. I am so inspired by you!

LauraRN said...

Mimi-- you're on your way!!! I love that you are identifying your passions and figuring out how to meet them.

Unknown said...

love you! :)

Anonymous said...

[B]NZBsRus.com[/B]
Dont Bother With Idle Downloads With NZB Files You Can Swiftly Find HD Movies, PC Games, MP3 Albums, Applications & Download Them @ Flying Rates

[URL=http://www.nzbsrus.com][B]Newsgroup[/B][/URL]

Anonymous said...

offence speeds ordinance ecostudio ccfirst consistent revising skewed estoniatitle taxol loan
lolikneri havaqatsu

Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye.