Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Purl Jam 2008


Hello everyone in Blog land:) I am excited to write this blog because I had such a phenomenal week that I have to share it. This week was Purl Jam here in Blacksburg, and I have to say that I haven't been so inspired in such a long time. It felt so good to once again see the bigger picture in the knitting world. Sometimes I get so stuck in my own knitting rut that I forget why I am doing it. When the community comes together it's easier to see that I am part of something big. I am not alone. I knit for so many reasons. I knit because it calms me. I knit to produce. I knit to feel accomplished. I knit because when I do, everything feels right.





I picked up Jared Flood at the Roanoke Airport. (Brooklyn Tweed... and if you didnt know that... shame on you.) I was actually very nervous about meeting this guy since I am such a huge fan. Gina told me to make a sign.... so I did... It said "Jared Flood: knitter Extraordinaire" I felt like an idiot holding it up... so I didnt. I know what he looks like, but I DID show him. After moments of meeting him my nerves calmed. What a guy! Besides the fact that Gina told him I was some sort of crazy obsessed fan who might tie him up like in Misery..... he didnt seem scared by me. Speaking of obsessed fan... Let me just say... I seriously think he is an amazing person. From a knitting perspective he is a genius, but he is so humble about it. He is inspiring, amazing, and real. Just being around him I learned so much and became so inspired.





OK, so I hung out with knitters, friends, and designers this whole week. HEAVEN. I took classes from each of the designers, Cornelia Tuttle Hamilton, and Annie Moddesitt. LOVE THEM!!!! I am STILL star struck and inspired. They are incredible. I learned so much! It made me feel so normal listening to them talk. They are NORMAL people, with incredible talent and passion. SIGH....






I came away from this thing with more friends, and a renewed motivation to do more. I decided I want to design. I want to do amazing things. I ran out and got a designing notebook. I am PUMPED to start designing more. I got some delicious silky wool to design a baby aran sweater to STEEK... more to come.

Love you all! Happy Knitting:)

6 comments:

Vouray said...

Nice photos...

Allison said...

So sad I missed it.....

hate you.

Virtuous said...

It was FAB meeting you!

LOL @ tie him up like in Misery! Haha! :oD

Luv your class note/yarn photo!

Ooh your baby aran will be too cute! I will be staying tuned!

Miranda said...

Jared is lucky he got away with his life. Just sayin'.

Chrissie said...

I love your sweaters! BEAUTIFUL!
Mom

Chrissie said...

AND, you will be the best Mom in the whole Universe. can't wait til it happens!
Mom