Sunday, January 28, 2007

19th Square Itch


It has happened. I have become very tired of knitting this lizard ridge afghan. Luckily I am on square 19 so I only have 5 more after this one, but it is becoming painful. I know it is really common for a knitter to have thousands of projects going at one time, I however am the exception. I love starting new projects, but even more than that, I HATE having unfinished ones laying around. They only remind me of everything that I need to do. I would rather unravel a project than let it sit in a bag somewhere collecting dust. I would rather unravel it, and make it into a nice pretty ball to sit in my pretty yarn basket. At least then it has some purpose.

SO I am very good about finishing things, or at least unravelling them. SO, here I am... square 19... and my eyes start wandering. Since I am remodelling the bathroom I was thinking about how wonderful it would be to have a little collection of hand knit linen wash clothes and hand towels. "OOOOOO" I thought, "Didn't Mason Dixon have cute patterns for that?"... and it began... obsessive thoughts about washcloths. Then I realized I have a skein of Maggie's knits linen. So i got out the Mason Dixon Book, GOt out the Linen, and my ebony Lantern Moon needles, and I found myself staring. This picture is seriously what I was looking at while knitting my 19th square.

I thought about it and I reach the conclusion that this feeling I am having is guilt. I think this is how a person in an unhappy marriage must feel. They are tired of being with this same person (Lizard Ridge), but they feel obligated to be with them because they made a promise, but they cant help looking elsewhere... finding something more interesting to look at.. to touch. (Ebony needles) They begin to imagine what it would be like to be with that new person (linen wash cloths), but, out of mere guilt and obligation they remain faithful.

By the way I am in an extremely happy marriage, and have never felt that way about our relationship.


Knit on
Sincerely,
Monogamous Knitter

7 comments:

ColleenQ said...

For some, it's about the thrill of the chase, so maybe if those linen wash clothes could play hard to get? ;)

LauraRN said...

Hang in there, Chica-- And Lizard ridge REALLY won't mind if you "take a break" (apologies to Friends addicts out there). Please let me know how it goes using the Maggie's linen for the towels. The yarn the M/D folks recommend results in a $27 tea towel, as best as I can figure.

jody said...

haha-i hate having 15 thousand projects going at the same time, too-it totally stresses me out but hang in there, and like in a rough marriage, if you push thru and hang in there just b/c of the committment, you develop a deeper love for your project, er, spouse....

and i knitted the same socks -w/ yarn from mosaic- that you have on in that picture!! fun!

Vouray said...

I have 27 UFO's. I am a cheat. I am a project slut. I cannot be trusted when it comes to being faithful to my other knitting projects. Yes, I feel guity. But Iam what Iam what Iam.

Bel said...

Look at you go, girl! I'm still on number one! By the way, I love the photo of you and your dad...he's so cute!

Don said...

What a wonderful person your father must be!!! And soooooo handsome. Imagine having a Mi2 ORIGINAL. So stylish and warm too.
You are so lucky!!

Here is the URL http://www.hothuntingfishing.com/

Love,
Da

Loren said...

Don't worry about Lizard Ridge, for we are soul mates. I could knit those square for all eternity. However, I'm a realist and recognize it's a ok to have an affair occasionally. Right? Well maybe not, that's why my Lizard Ridge is at Mosiac where it can't be envious of Joy, the new sweater in 100% alpaca I just started. I guess I'm a project slut too!