Saturday, March 12, 2011

Day 10





Day 10

Reflection day. Today I am thankful for Lucy. Adam and I adopted lucy 10 years ago now. We found a breeder in Southern Ca, and drove down to get her. We had already picked out her name, and I dont remember clearly now how we did that. I think we were referring to either I Love Lucy or Lucy from Peanuts. Either way, we loved the name, made a little name tag and headed off to the town of Phelon. I remember walking into the little trailer type house in the middle of nowhere. We me the nice German older lady. She told us she had 1 male, and 2 females left. We knew we wanted a female so we passed on the FAT rolly poley "Samson", who was laying IN the kibble bowl asleep. We walked into the living room and I said "LUCY!" and waited. Suddenly this tiny, adorable, little pug came running over to us. We knew it was her! The other one just laid there. (Ended up her name was Sophia)



I remember meeting her mom, who looks a LOT like Lucy looked when she was about 4 years old. Adam and I were sitting on the ground playing with Lucy when her mom jumped on the couch and did a thorough inspection of us. It seemed to me like she was checking us out to see if we were suitable parents! Apparently she approved. She was sweet, just like Lucy.

All of the sudden, Lucys dad escaped from the back porch! He bolted in, running past us all, running over and peeing on Samson. The older, slightly disabled German couple were shouting and running around the house trying to catch him. We can see now where Lucy gets her crazy side from!!!

She was about the size of a pair of socks that were rolled into a ball. We were instant parents, and instantly in love. Lucy was a sleepy and crazy puppy. When she was asleep, she could not be roused. When she was awake, she could run, and run, and run, and run. I remember when she was tiny we kept her in a baby play pen at night, but took turns taking her out when she whined. It wasnt long before she was in bed with us.



Over the years she grew, got grey, and slowed down a bit, but has always kept her drive to please, passion for playing (and bones), and ability to make us smile. She cheers us up when we are sad and lays on our lap when were lonely. She is a true friend. I love her deeply, and cherish every day with her.

Anyone who knows Lucy knows shes a happy girl! She loves playing and showing off her toys to "friends" that visit. She really is a very special girl.

6 comments:

Bekdiva said...

She was sooo little. I love Lucy, too!

Anonymous said...

The focus on that ball!

Unknown said...

she's such a sweet girl! you know, i dont let anyone's dogs but yours climb and lay all over me... remember when we had a sleepover? lucy with her **** (you know what im talking about). and the SNORING. holy cow!

Chrissie said...

Oh, sweet Lucy! I love her too! She loves grandma too! Can't wait to see her again.

Don said...

That's my Grand Pug!!

Mary Thomas said...

SO cute, I love the photo of you guys sleeping together. Such bliss on her little puggy face. She is so alive in pictures, that face, focused on her little raspberry ball- I can just see her moving!

Cutie pie.