Saturday, March 19, 2011

Day 16-17

Ok, I have a good reason why I didnt post yesterday. There was a horrible thunderstorm here and we lost power. It was a little scary, but the moon was very bright and our house has a lot of windows. When we lit the candles we went and laid in bed and talked for like an hour or two. Adam had battery in his computer and he put on some music, and we just talked. It was raining and we could hear the raindrops on the windows. Laying there, in peace. I really appreciated that quiet night! Sometimes I get so used to all the noices, the radio, the TV, the computer, the lights, that I actually forget what silence sounds like. How soothing it is. So last night, I was thankful for peaceful moments.

Today, I did some more crafting. I started yesterday actually. I made some candles!!!! I got some soft soy wax and melted it down in my special "double boiler" I made from a pot of boiling water, a water pitcher, and a spoon. It actually works really well.

So, I melted a pound of wax some purple candle dye chips and an ounce of lavender oil.


Then poured it into my glass containers. I already secured the wicks in using this "molding sealer". I also hot glued some ribbon and flowers on the outside for decoration.


I wrapped the wicks around skewers so they would stay straight.

Then, I let cool. This morning when I woke up I found both had cracked a little on top. Adam said this was probably because they cooled too fast. I remember hearing something about this in my "research" online. Today I made a new batch, but kept them white and used jasmine scent. I put the containers in socks, then put them in the oven to cool. I think this was better, but I will post pics of these later. So, here are pictures of the 2 lavender scented ones while they were coolong.
So this crafting made me happy, and gee wiz it was so easy. I am so excited about making stuff right now. I was online looking at new ideas, and woooah I founds some good ideas!!! Stay tuned. What do you guys think!? Any questions?

10 comments:

Marissa, craftaholic said...

What a nice post about silence (Jason).

Candle making is awesome! I can't see what else you've discovered that you want to make!

Anonymous said...

Yay candles! They look so cute!

jbilling85 said...

Hrm- Very cool. Try dipping long candles? Maybe some of those cool U shaped ones?

J.Moody said...

Gorgeous Mimi! It makes me want to try it!

Unknown said...

these look awesome, love the double boiler. great idea, ive tried to make one at home a few times, none ended well...

Unknown said...

Super cute!

Chrissie said...

Dad and I made candles back in the 70's when we were in college. It was a lot of fun. We just melted down old candles....since we were poor. I remember making a candle that looked like swiss cheese. The mold was a large tin can. We put it on a cheese cutting board, got a little ceramic mouse (put him in the holes) and gave them as presents for Christmas. The holes turn out when you use ice cubes.
Your candles look great. I bet they smell good!
You are having too much fun!

Heidi said...

they look great!

Don said...

Can I have one??

Mary Thomas said...

Those are beautiful!