Friday, March 11, 2011

Day 9


Day 9

Last night I woke up in the middle of the night. The news was on. I sat up and saw the reports of this giant earthquake. I hate hearing about this stuff for a couple reasons. 1. I get so sad and worried for other people. 2. I am PRONE to anxiety and I live in Earthquake country.... SO I am laying there feeling sad and anxious, and you KNOW the news is doing a great job at scaring the crap out of everyone. And then... headline: "Tsunami headed for California coast". Instantly pictures of giant waves hitting Indonesia ran through my head. I was terrified. Now, remember, it was the middle of the night and my judgement was impaired, but I was terrified. I laid there wondering if I was going to die in this flood, if I should wake Adam up and hit the road or what!? This CLEARLY was crazy thinking being that I live at like 500 feet above sea level. My geologist husband was LITTLE consolation to me because he is sick and took sick drugs to sleep and was OUT... I tried waking him up to tell him of our looming death, and I get I "ehhhh Uuugg"

I managed to get back to sleep with help of some drugs. I woke up in the morning and looked out the window almost expecting to only see the top of the golden gate bridge and the skyscrapers. Nope. Sunny and calm. I flip on the news. Apparently this TSUNAMI was going to be a 1-3 FOOT wave. Wouldn't this would have been nice to say last NIGHT!!? Still, the news blew everything up locally just to scare people. All that seems to have happened was some boats were damaged in Santa Cruz. I drove to Pleasanton, and people were in crowds at the top of Grizzly Peak, presumably, to FLEE the Tsunami.... Goodness.

Through out the day pictures and videos of watching what was happening in Japan made me so sad, but has also made me extremely grateful for my safety and heath. I think we all take these simple things for granted everyday. Its also sad that it takes a tragic event like this make us all realize how good we do have it, but I guess its understandable. Sometimes its hard to see these things. We are all wrapped up in our own worlds sometimes. So tonight, I hug my pugs and my handsome geologist a little but tighter.

9 comments:

Marissa, craftaholic said...

I found out about it before even getting out of bed this morning and it made me cry. I can look at some photos of damage, but no video for me. Too sensitive. :(

John and Laura said...

I had to have John explain a lot of terms to me yesterday while I was trying to make sense of the things I saw online. It is terrifying to think about how quickly so many lives changed. My heart breaks for those affected.

J.Moody said...

I'm glad it didn't impact the CA coast much at all! We allowed our students to watch some of the video today. It's hard sometimes to get teenagers to break out of their thoughts about themselves and no one else. Some were genuinely concerned, and some looked just downright bored to tears. Now that's sad. My prayers go out to all those folks who lost their lives and those who have lost their livelihood. I also pray for my senility in dealing with these selfish teenagers.

Chrissie said...

People were actually crowded on top of Grizzly Peak? Wow, crazy! I liked your story, I can just see you. I thank God everyday for your safety and all my family. It is one of God's tender mercies for us. Something we could very well take for granted. It makes you warm and happy when you realize it.

Anonymous said...

I'll admit to being a little angry about the reported damage to the Santa Cruz harbor. Estimated $15 million in damages. Oh, wait.. because 30-40 yachts were damaged. How much does one boat cost? Right. I don't pity them. I'm saving my emotional stores for those in Japan and the Islands that actually got more than 4" of waves, and lost lives, not some stupid frivolous showing of wealth.

Don said...

Yeah I was worried too until I heard a 3' tidal wave in Santa Cruz. We have too many Lawyers and oo many TV News people in this world.

Bekdiva said...

Yes, Mimi... we are so blessed. Hug your puggies and hubbie extra tight!

Mary Thomas said...

Yes, less lawyers and sensationalized reporting would be a very nice improvement. HEARTBREAKING how many boats were lost, huh? SOMEONE ALMOST DIED! I mean... oh, I guess it was a boat. Ya I sure don't like all this talk about another big earthquake in California. Can you blog about how Adam told you this was impossible and not going to happen??? Use lots of big words so I can be further convinced by his edu-macated speak.

"Meems" said...

hahah your funny Mary- He didnt say a big earth quake couldnt happen, but he was reasuring that the tsumani wasnt going to.... be a big deal. He also went off about plates, and types of quakes....