Friday, March 4, 2011

Day Two

I LOVE that I am getting so many comments! Please keep them coming! Also, people are wondering what the day 1, day 2 stuff is about, and as a reminder... I am doing a 30 day challenge to myself to find something everyday that I am thankful for, or that makes me happy. This is day 2. Did you know that according to Joanne's Fabrics March is "craft month"? SO, today I celebrate one of my favorite crafts: soaps. I started making soaps probably about a year ago, and I LOVE it. Its so much easier than I thought it would be, and OOOOOOH so rewarding. I thought I would have soap coming out my nose after a few batches, but, I am running LOW. I just love sharing this hobby. Once you have all the equipment, and you find a good supply shop, its easy! Today I made a lavender soap. I put in extra lavender oil to make it smell even stronger. Here are some pictures of my process:

I use whole lavender buds. Last time I make lavender soap I put way too many buds in it, and they harden and scratch me. Although Adam liked it as a good back scratcher.... I want a smoother soap this time. I took the buds and chopped them and then ground them down until they were very soft. I will need these in the end.




Buds before and after my chopping and crushing...



I set up my area so that everything is organized. Here is the "lye station" and "oil station": I bought the lye at the hardware store today. Also, I will be using coconut oil, palm oil, olive oil, and jojoba oil. Good stuff.



So, you heat up the oils...


Then mix the lye with water- be safe.


Then, you have to match their temp. I was aiming for 110 degrees F. Once they are the same, mix them with a hand blender.
Then, once its blended into looking kind of like pudding... I poured in into my wood mold (adam made) and sprinkled with the buds. I cover and let sit over night.


Tomorrow I will look and see. I hope it turns out. I should be able to cut in the next few days. OOOOOH so pretty!


Anyways, I hope you all enjoy! This made me happy today!

Now, where are the comments?!

7 comments:

John and Laura said...

Hey Mimi! Great post! How many bars will you get out of this round?

Unknown said...

love that your documenting the process. i love protocols :) i am also running low on mimi soap... (hint)....

Anonymous said...

That's great! I LOVE lavender. lavender soap, lavender oil, lavender smelling everything! You did a great job with all the pictures and explaining the process!

Nikki said...

wow. I had no idea "real" soap was so easy... I bet it smells quite lovely with all that lavender

heidi said...

lavender is definately great- i'll have to harvest some for you from my mom's garden this summer.

Chrissie said...

Oh Mimi, That makes me remember when WE did a batch when I came for a visit. It WAS fun and I loved the smell in the house....all fresh and good smelling. There is nothing like working on a craft that makes you happy. And it even makes the happiness last when you SHARE your wares! I was able to share the soap we made with my co-workers at Christmas. I felt so crafty!

Mary Thomas said...

Oooo wonderful smelling lavender, gotta love it. We have the soap you made in our bathroom right now, it makes that little room smell so good! (Plus it makes it look as though I buy expensive soaps haha)