Sunday, March 20, 2011

Day 18

Day 18

Today I spent the day doing one of my original and most favorite hobbies- knitting. I love knitting. Although I feel like I've been in a bit of a "funk" with it lately, its my all time favorite. Its the one I am best at. So heres my knitting story.

(below: a beaded shawl I just made for my mama!)

I got the itch to start knitting right before my brother's second child (Jacob) was born. I really wanted to knit him a hat. I guess this was about 8 years ago?I knew nothing about knitting, but knew Adams mom, Sandy, knew how to do it. One day when we were there visiting she gave me my first lesson. I remember being so clumsy and awkward. She said I picked it up pretty easily (right Sandy?), but I felt like a fool with these long metal sticks. I went home and was obsessed. I had so many mistakes I had to rip out and start over SO many times.

I went to a yarn shop in Davis, where I was a college student, and got my first skein of brown wool, and some wood needles, which I liked way better. They were nice to me and welcomed me to the world of knitting.

Not too much later I found myself with my husband of a year, and our 2 pug babies, all living in Blacksburg Virginia. Adam worked, but I didnt have a job. No job, no friends, and nothing to do but learn to knit. Thats exactly what I did. I knit all the time. I read books on knitting when I got confused. I remember having the internet, but I dont remember using it in my knitting skills. youtube would have been HELPFUL....

The first winter in Blacksburg was dreadful to say the LEAST. We lived in this little (TINY), cold, old house on South Main street. I was snowed in, and alone most of the time (except for the MICE.. and the pugs) I knit and knit. I wasnt very good at it, but I was determined. I remember making several dog sweaters.

The only knitting supply store I knew of was Michael's, so I was stuck with crappy yarn, and didnt even know it. I remember the day I discovered Mosaic. Adam and I went in and were greeted by Gina, the owner. At the time it was a small shop in the front of her mothers clothing store. I little old Chinese lady was also in there, knitting. I remember she was making noice about how BIG some of these needles were and how "ridiculous" a size 15 is. I picked a yarn up, called "Splash" (made my crystal palace), and Gina said "so your a hokie!?". I had no CLUE what a "hokie" was. I soon learned that red and orange were the colors of a very popular football team there. (pssh football...) I bought it.

I was a frequent customer there although I couldnt afford it, when finally a year or two later I found myself working there. I knew very little at the time, but learned very quickly. Virginia, the little old Chinese lady who worked there, took me under her wind and taught me everything I know. Well, all the basics at least. I worked there for 5 years. This became a second home to me. I was there through so many changes, so many customers, and so many other employees. I became good friends with the owner, Gina, who moved the store next door to a large location. I taught classes, helped customers, and learned a hell of a lot about yarn.

Now, Im back in Ca, and have my own little yarn room. I sometimes consider myself more of a yarn collector than a knitter! haha

I have made most things, but know there is still always more and more to learn. This hobby is more than a hobby to me. For those of you out there who are crazy knitters like me, you know what I am talking about. There is just something beautiful and magical about the process of creating. Something wonderful about seeing something you created on your mother, your husband, your nephews,your grandma, and your own feet. I know knitting is a life long friend that I have made. I knit because I am happy. I knit because I'm bored. I knit because I need to make a gift, I knit in sadness and tragedy. I knit because I love it.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I knit because I love it too! And because I am sad or bored or...really any excuse works just fine for me! Your post today made me happy. (I just spent all day working on my first sweater) Thanks for sharing your story!
-Nicole

John and Laura said...

Hey Mimi! I didn't realize how similar our knitting beginnings were. Thanks for all the encouragement and lessons you have given along the way.

J.Moody said...

I still need to find someone to show me how to knit. Perhaps this summer I'll meander on over to Mosaic when I have more spare time. I tried a book, and that was a disaster. ;-)

Unknown said...

i owe my knitting obsession to you!! thanks!

"Meems" said...

Jody, go to Mosaic anytime- Ask for Gina and tell her I sent you! She will teach you anything!!!

Thanks everyone! your comments make me happy!

Marissa, craftaholic said...

Yay, knitting!!!

Chrissie said...

Oh Yes, You are the best knitter I know! I love your shawl you made me..it is so beautiful! Mimi, I would like to learn how to knit socks. Can you teach me?
Mom

heidi said...

you are the best knitting teacher ever!

Mary Thomas said...

Mimi, this is a beautiful post. I love your knitting room, it looks like a slice of heaven!

Amy said...

OMG! The pug sweater is SO adorable!